Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My first Chalis!

At least...I think it is. ?
This fabric was gifted to me well over a year ago, and I've been saving it for the "perfect pattern". I love the results, but the pattern was not exactly perfect.
I chose McCall's 6467, a relatively new pattern that caught my attention the moment I saw it. I love girly blouses that are also easy to wear and this looked to fit the criteria, and my lovely black and yellow floral print had the perfect drape for this style.


What is this style anyway? I'm thinking it looks 1/3 70's poet shirt, 1/3 Little House, and 1/3 modern. I find I am leaning towards a lot of early 70's influences, the Little House,not so much, lol.
I do with the details showed up better in the pictures.

I'm very glad I took the time to do a tissue fitting with my dress form. The neckline was just huge! It needed quite a lot of taking in. I had the raise the front neckline .75" (and I'm not too shy with cleavage, but I don't want my bra showing!), I took in 1.25" in the CF and .5 in the CB, down the entire seams, and after I got the neckline on I realized I should have taken another .5 or so from the CB.
I took 1.5" off the sleeve length, my standard, but the supposed 3/4 sleeves were to my wrists. I had to take another 3.5" off to get the correct length. Because I had sen the cuffs on before sewing the sleeves on, I had to remove and resew the cuffs, which included a lot of hand sewing.

I am overall happy with the fit. I'm glad I didn't sew it right out of the package like I often do, and am taking more time to get a better fit. It's taking me longer to finish garments, but I'm much happier with the results.

The back was originally longer, as I attempted the hem from view C, but the blouse is so loose fitting, it just hung shapeless straight down, and I didn't really like it, so I ended up chopping it off, and just keeping a small rounded shape to the back hem.
Finished Hemline


Original, View C back hemline

My husband originally hated the buttons, and said it looked exactly like a clown outfit (lol). Fortunately, most of the buttons were covered by the ruffle, so I decided to just use the top 2 anyway, and tacked down the flounces under the second button so it would stay visible. I don't think the finished top looks clownish. :) Um...does it??

4 comments:

  1. That is so pretty with all the flowers, and subtle hem drape. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I think the flowy hemline is one of my favorite things about this top. :)

      Delete
  2. no you don`t look like a clown at all ! Your finished top looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, thanks so much! I'm sorry I didn't reply, or right away, I have been having sporadic trouble posting on blogger the last 2 or 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete